Incoming 6th Grade Math Appeal Process
Cooperative Middle School
Formal Appeals Process for Mathematics Placement
To initiate the appeals process students and/or their families need to complete the attached form indicating their wish to appeal the placement decision and the reason for the appeal.
Overview of Process
- Access the appeals process by clicking here.
- Complete and submit the appeals process form electronically which will be sent to the Mathematics Learning Area Leader, Mr. Durant and your child’s Assistant Principal.
- Appeal forms need to be submitted by July 26th.
The Assistant Principal and the Mathematics Learning Area Leader implement the formal appeal process.
- The Appeals Committee is comprised of math educators and administrators who will review the written appeal, the academic history of the student, and the student’s assessment scores.
- After review of this material the committee will determine whether:
- The student be afforded the opportunity to reassess.
- Reassessments will take place on August 10th at 9:00am in the CMS Library.
- Students will have one reassessment opportunity to meet the criteria.
- The student remains in the current placement.
- Students not meeting the criteria after a reassessment or who are denied their appeal will remain in their course placement.
- Decisions concerning appeals will be rendered via email during the middle of August, following discussion by the Appeals Committee.