Math Appeal Process
Cooperative Middle School
Formal Appeals Process for Mathematics Placement
To initiate the appeals process students and/or their families need to complete the attached form indicating their wish to appeal the placement decision and the reason for the appeal.
Overview of Process
- Access the appeals process by clicking here.
- Compete and submit the appeals process form electronically which will be sent to the Mathematics Learning Arena Leader, Mr. Durant and your child’s Assistant Principal.
- Appeal forms need to be submitted by June 9th.
The Assistant Principal and the Mathematics Learning Area Leader implements the formal appeal process.
- A self-assessment will be presented to the student after the written appeal has been submitted. The self-assessment is designed for the student to self-reflect on his or her long term goals related to mathematics, drive to persevere in challenging tasks, and readiness for the requested placement.
- The Appeals Committee is comprised of a building administrator, mathematics learning area leader, math teacher, and a school counselor. The committee will review the written appeal, the academic history of the student, the student’s self-assessment, and the assessment scores for the NWEA, Orleans Hanna, End of Year Assessment, and the F1 grade.
- After review of this material the committee will determine whether:
- The student be afforded the opportunity to reassess on one or more of the placement exams.
- Reassessments will take place in late August at CMS in the Library.
- Students will have one opportunity per each exam to meet the criteria.
- The student remain in the current placement.
- Students not meeting the criteria after a reassessment or who are denied their appeal will remain in their course placement.
- Decisions concerning appeals will also be rendered, via letter, during the month of June following discussion of the Appeals Committee.